Monday, October 8, 2012

I'm Trying!!

Hello friends,


This week we stayed away from our normal text book and read a small section of PR 2.0: New Media,New Tools, New Technologies by Deirdre K. Breakenridge and Brian Solis. I really enjoyed this change of pace because the topics discussed by Breakenridge and Solis were extremely relevant to the ever changing world of PR. They really emphasized communicating with the target audience and engaging in conversation through several different mediums.

An excerpt from the chapter stated,

Solis stressed the importance of how PR professionals need to embrace social media- including blogs, podacsts, livestreaming, livecasts, social networking, social bookmarking and several other social tools to join the conversation- not as marketers, but as people. It all starts with listening and reading. You need to hear what's going on out there before you can participate.

It's week eight of my social media class and my professor has beat into my brain the importance of    using different mediums to communicate with your target audience. Thank God for this class, because prior to this semester, I was behind in the social media category. I'm still trying to keep up with all of the new social tools, but I'm beginning to feel more up to speed. 

I completely agree with what Solis had to say about listening. Sometimes professionals are too quick to push information. You have to know what your customers are saying and what they want before you can participate. Listening and reading is just as important as your message.

I'm learning so much about all the different social tools and how to effectively utilize them. I feel like I am embracing social media, and eventually it will all just become second nature to me.

Until next time,

Katie

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are embracing social media now! Social media is such an important tool in the world of PR and marketing. From conveying company messages to advertising to research; social media is important to how successful a company or campaign can be.

    ReplyDelete