Tuesday, October 2, 2012

6:00 a.m. Every Tuesday and Friday

Hello friends,


Hopefully everyone is having a productive Tuesday. I don't mean to brag, but I think I have a one up on everyone this morning, but not by choice. Every Tuesday and Friday, I have to be up before the sun to make it to the gym by 5:45. I know you are wondering, "why on earth would you get up that early?" I ask myself that question every time my alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m.

I am a part of the Ohio Northern Women's basketball team and we are currently in our preseason conditioning. Thankfully, we only have two weeks left until we start our official season because I am ready to be done with conditioning. Every Tuesday and Friday we have early morning work outs starting at 6:00 a.m. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, and sometimes I think that it is. We used to begin at 5:45, but our coaches have been kind enough to give us an extra 15 minutes in the morning. Even though I hate waking up that early, I feel so accomplished when I'm done.

When we get to the gym in the morning, we all know that we have to have a positive attitude and work hard. Our coach always tells us that if we want to complain about what we have to do, then we just shouldn't show up. None of these work outs are technically "mandatory," but there is an  unwritten rule that you better show up or else. The reason why we have conditioning that early besides the obvious reason of getting in shape, is to do something hard together as a team. We have set big goals for ourselves, and hard work is the only way we will accomplish those goals. Getting up that early and giving 100% is not always the easiest thing to do. Some mornings I just want to shut my alarm off and go back to bed, but I know that my whole team is counting on one another to be there. If we can get through something as hard as 6:00 a.m. workouts, then we can get through a long season together.

I love being able to leave the gym at 7:15 knowing that I got a great work out in, and I'm done for the rest of the day. That sense of accomplishment is especially great on days like today when I have a ton of work to get done. This Friday should be an interesting morning, because we are leaving the gym and jumping into the pool. This is unfamiliar territory for my polar bear family, so pray for us and hope that nobody drowns. I can't wait to get it over with, but I'm up for the challenge.

Until next time,

Katie




No comments:

Post a Comment