Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beware of what you post...they are watching!

Hello friends,


I was surfing the world wide web today and I stumbled across a wonderful article on Ragan's PR Daily that I thought would be perfect to share with everyone. The title of the article was "5 Types of Social Media Posts that Recruiters Hate."

The article discussed how recruiters do use social media to research prospective candidates. A Jobvite survey was conducted to determine the top five types of content shared on social networks that created negative reactions among hiring managers. I will share the results, but while you read them, try and think if any apply to you.

References to doing illegal drugs- 78 percent of recruiters reacted negatively.

Posts/tweets of a sexual nature- 66 percent reacted negatively.

Profanity in posts/tweets- 61 percent of recruiters reacted negatively.

Spelling/grammar errors in posts/tweets- 54 percent reacted negatively.

Pictures of consumption of alcohol- 47 percent reacted negatively.

As a college student about to graduate in May, this article really resonated with me. Some times I don't think about the impact my social media activity can have on my future. I don't normally post super inappropriate things on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, but they are not bullet proof. My mom has been after me for a while to take down some pictures that I have up on Facebook, and I think that it's probably time to do a clean sweep. I don't know why the thought of this makes me sad. I think it is because that cleaning up my social media means that I'm officially a grown up and can no longer afford to literally be "young, wild and free." (I will always be at heart though).

So next time you go to post pictures from your crazy weekend or rant about something that made you mad, think about if it is worth losing a job opportunity over.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about poor spelling or grammar because my grandmas are always looking out for me :)

Until next time,

Katie



2 comments:

  1. Aren't you a lucky girl to have so many people who love you and look out for you?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few of those content types would never apply to me. There are a few however, that I have been subject to. I always make sure that I am not tagged in any inappropriate pictures my friends post, as well as any inappropriate pictures of my own. Spelling and grammar will always be a challenge for me though. Growing up does have it's limitations but I know that I am willing to clean up my social media if it means getting a great job for a future career.

    ReplyDelete