Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Karaoke Queen

Hello friends!
Fundraising with Karaoke | Karaoke Fundraiser

First let me wish everyone a Happy Hump Day! Today, however, does not at all feel like a Wednesday. Don't get me wrong, I love a shorter school week, but Labor Day threw me off.
I know that everyone really enjoys Wednesdays because it marks the middle of the week and brings us closer to the weekend, but I love Wednesday for one reason, karaoke.

Most people that know me understand that I love to sing. I was a very proud choir geek in high school, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I was involved in every form of choir that my school had to offer. I was even part of a barbershop quartet that competed in an international competition in Nashville. Sadly enough, college has made me choose between the two things I love most; basketball and singing. Due to my hectic class and basketball schedule, I am no longer able to sing formally. Completely cutting music out of my life is impossible, so I have found a way to get my weekly fix of performing.

Little Mexico is one of three bars in Ada, and every Wednesday they have karaoke. Now, I understand that karaoke does not even compare to singing in a group or having to read music, but I love it. Typically, karaoke is for the people that get a little brave once they've had a few drinks and sing an old throwback Backstreet Boys song. I take my karaoke much more seriously than that. That statement in itself is enough to make you laugh at me! I laugh at myself sometimes, but I can't help it, I miss singing. I have made an appearance at karaoke night religiously for the last year or so. I've gotten to the point that I know the guy who is in charge and he knows that as soon as I walk in, I'm ready to sing. He even knows my favorite song too. I never leave karaoke without singing Janis Joplin's" Me and Bobby McGee."

My friends are wonderful and support my karaoke career. Every Wednesday, they come up to the bar with me and listen to me sing. I get embarrassed when they cheer for me, but I love that they come and I always take their requests.

Some may think I'm strange because I go to karaoke every week, but I don't care. I have found a way to continue singing, and having a microphone in my hand again makes me happy. I feel welcomed when I step into Little Mexico. I've made connections with the owners and the people who work there.  Wednesday night karaoke has become an event that I look forward to every week. I get the opportunity to let my inner diva out and continue something that I love to do.

If you have never come in for karaoke night, I strongly suggest you make room for it in your schedule.  The bar is always packed and you're are sure to have a great time.

Do you have a hobby that makes you happy?

Until next time,

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Embrace your inner Karaoke Queen always!!!!

    Love ya!

    Mom (The other Karaoke Queen)

    ReplyDelete