Sunday, September 2, 2012

Trying to keep up

Hello friends!

This week, I've been searching for a subject related to social media that I would actually enjoy writing about. As I was reading through articles, trying to find something inspiring, it dawned on me; I am not as "on board" with social media as I should be.

As a 21 year old marketing and public relations major, this sounds absolutely taboo. I should have all the bells and whistles like Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, Instagram and LinkedIn, and I should be updating them multiple times a day. Mind you, I have an account for all but one of these social media sites, but I only really use about two of them. I understand the purpose social media serves and what a valuable tool social media is for companies, organization and individuals. The problem that I have, is that I don't always understand why we have to be so connected. I'm easily overwhelmed with all of the social media that most people find so important. Every morning is the same routine. Wake up, check the news, check Facebook, Twitter, my email and any other blog I may be following. Sometimes I just want to be completely "unplugged" and not have to worry about any type of mass media. I believe that these feelings are based primarily on the type of childhood I had. I was raised in a house where playing outside was really the only form of self entertainment. I often find myself wondering, if all of the social media is necessary and if it's all just superficial. Even though I have these occasional negative thoughts about social media, I truly do understand that it is part of the world we live in today, and it does serve a purpose.

This past week I kept a close eye on the Republican National Convention. As I sat on my couch listening to speech after speech, I decided to log on to the official CNN website and check the news from the week. I had a news quiz the next morning, so I had to make sure I knew what was going on in the world. I so happened to come across the 2012 Live Blog that was covering the convention  I was watching. At that moment I knew exactly what I wanted to blog about.

I already knew that all forms of social media were important to stay connected with an organizations publics', but I had this "ah-ha" moment as I followed this live blog. Here I was, sitting on my couch watching the convention, while following real time comments about the same event at the same time. The blog had live updates from correspondents in attendance, as well as from ordinary citizens. Some of the posts included pictures, while others were just peoples' opinions of what had been said. What I really enjoyed was the interactive communication from contributors. Some people were posting to ask what everyone else thought of a specific politicians speech. The conversation was great and I found the posts very interesting to read, especially those regarding different peoples' opinions. The blog also included polls that readers could vote on such as, "Who gave the best speech at the GOP convention." I myself did not choose to chime in, but I found the blog to be very enlightening and a good use of public relations and social media.

CNN was very smart to hold a live blog spot on their website that readers could use to voice their opinions. The Presidential Election is generally a time when people have the most to say, so providing an outlet for this type of political expression was a great way to involve the public. The live feed was an excellent way for voters to be exposed to different opinions and learn more about the Republican candidate. The posts from the CNN correspondents made you feel as if you were at the convention yourself. They were able to give you "behind the scenes" coverage that viewers were not able to receive by watching the Republican National Convention on television.

After following the live blog, I do think that more organizations could use this type of interactive blog on their websites. A blog would be such a great tool to use to encourage feedback from the public. Many times, customers want to talk about their experiences with a product or service, but don't have any easy-to-use medium to do so.

Although I still may have doubts about social media, I have a better understanding of why it is so important to be connected. The live convention blog opened  my eyes to how valuable this type of social media can be. Americans from all over the country were able to discuss their opinions about the Republican candidate as they were watching the convention unfold. There is no other system that would allow for that many individuals to be connected and share information at the same time.

I will make a valiant effort to immerse myself in the world of social media and try to become more in-tune with the fast pace world around me.

Does anyone else feel the same way about all of the social media, or am I the "Lone Ranger" on this subject?

Instagram photo posted on the 2012 CNN Live Blog 
Until next time,

Katie

"We have technology, finally, that for the first time in human history allows people to really maintain rich connections with much larger numbers of people."
  - Pierre Omidyar, eBay Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment