Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Delete Button Can Be Your Friend

Hello friends,

Today is a lazy Sunday despite the fact that I have a to do list a mile long. Give me a break. I only get one day off a week and I like to enjoy it a little. As I was sitting in my bed surfing the Internet, I came across an article on PR News Daily that I thought was relevant to what we've been learning in class.

The website included the article entitled, When Brands Should Delete Their Tweets. It was written in response to the infamous Donald Trump. If you have a television and it was on at any time during the election, you've probably heard about Mr. Trump and his Twitter rants. Let me tell you, the man just does not know when to quit. The biggest doozy he decided to put out there for the world to see was included in the article.


Thank you for those wise words Mr. Trump... Not. Regardless if you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the election, you can't say things like that. Freedom of speech does give him the ability to say this and I may share his same frustrations, but as a public figure that has millions of followers, this kind of tweet is just not appropriate. He went on to erase that politically charged tweet, but there is definitely a lesson to be learned from this situation.

The article shared a few guidelines for deleting tweets.
1. If it's an errant, "off brand" tweet, that might include offensive photos/videos, bizarre rants, or something with profanity.
2. It has typos or serious grammatical errors.
3. It was a direct message that went public.
4. If legal tells you to delete it.
5. If it's a half-finished tweet that was sent prematurely.
6. If it was deemed offensive or insensitive.

It would be too easy to say that organizations should tweet with caution to avoid any messy situations, but we all know that it can happen at any time to anyone. If a tweet does have to be erased fro any reason, be sure to post another tweet explaining the situation and apologizing to anyone who was offended. Donald Trump's reputation and credibility is a lost cause, but you and your company do not have to suffer the same fate.

Until next time,

Katie




2 comments:

  1. I like this post. I've seen quite a few tweets from companies who should have taken a second thought about hitting the tweet button. You're right, Trump is a lost cause and people know it, but he's Donald Trump and thinks he can get away with that kind of stuff. Personally I've used the delete button to my advantage because of grammatical mistakes, or it was not the most appropriate thing to tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those are excellent guidelines to deleting a post. My iPhone often auto corrects my tweets as I'm about to send them out and I don't notice it until after they have been sent out. It's nice to have the delete button for those unfortunate times.

    ReplyDelete